The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the release of the Chairman of Jezco Group, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor, and a reverend sister who were abducted by armed men in the Ifite-Awka area of the state.
The two victims regained their freedom 10 days after the incident and were reportedly picked up by a family member at a location close to the Anambra-Enugu boundary. They have since returned safely, according to the police.
Ezeokafor, a prominent businessman and Managing Director of JEZCO Oil, was said to have been kidnapped while praying inside a church in Ifite-Awka.
The abduction had generated widespread concern among his relatives, business associates and residents. Reports during his captivity indicated that the kidnappers initially demanded a ransom of ₦700 million before allegedly raising their demand to ₦1.5 billion.
However, it remains unclear whether any ransom was eventually paid to secure the victims' release.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra State, Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the development on Saturday, August 15, 2026.
According to Ikenga, the command had received confirmation that Chief Ezeokafor and the reverend sister had been released and were safely back home.
The police said investigations are ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding their release and gather information that could help identify and apprehend those responsible for the abduction.
The Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Ama, has also ordered intensified intelligence-driven operations aimed at tracking down the suspects.
The operation involves personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, military, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Agunechemba security outfit and other relevant security agencies.
Authorities have appealed to residents to remain alert and provide credible information that could assist security agencies in bringing the perpetrators to justice.



















